+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Any comments on RR 'Odd stack defense'

Any comments on RR 'Odd stack defense'

3-3-5.

So I'm thinking this type of D will put a lot of pressure on the LBers?

And the 5 is pretty bafling to me. Hitters? Speed?
    Players meeting my ASS!

Quote Originally Posted by Tahoe
    3-3-5.

And the 5 is pretty bafling to me. Hitters? Speed?
    More mobility to blitz from different spots

The 335 is not a typical big ten defense, it is a defense based on speed and big play ability. The 5th guy in the secondary, right now its Eric Wicks/Quinton Andrews, is a guy around the line of scrimmage. The important thing about this D is for the 3 lineman to plug the run and somehow get a pass rush. If they can do that this defense looks amazing, if they can't then teams like South Florida will run all over you.
    Destiny

So is it a defense designed to stop the spread offense?

I'd love to beat Oregon...maybe I should start with Apple St. I'd love to beat Apple St.
    Players meeting my ASS!

Blog Entries
    Maybe you should start with Melvindale.

Might be a perfect opportunity to see what guys like Jonas Mouton can do. He was a stud out of HS, but like others before has been a "tweener" between S and LB. Prescott Burgess was that way before him. Lloyd was never capable of getting anything from these guys their first few years and it was a waste.

With the players and recruits we have right now, I would imagine maybe:
    B Graham - T Taylor - T Jamison
    Panter - Ezeh - Logan (unless a true freshman gets the nod)
    Warren - Trent - Harrison - Mouton - Cissoko

Eh? With the players we have we could rotate guys up front to keep fresh players in there, and if our true freshmen LB's can get the job done, we can get fresh legs in there, but with 5 DB's and a thin squad we're going need need a few more stud commits back there in THIS class. Otherwise, that scheme will have to change. It would be nice to keep English and figure out a hybrid scheme.
    We had subs. It was crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by darkobetterthanmelo
    The 335 is not a typical big ten defense, it is a defense based on speed and big play ability. The 5th guy in the secondary, right now its Eric Wicks/Quinton Andrews, is a guy around the line of scrimmage. The important thing about this D is for the 3 lineman to plug the run and somehow get a pass rush. If they can do that this defense looks amazing, if they can't then teams like South Florida will run all over you.
    BTW...This doestn' bother me one bit.

Jethro...You know the players pretty good. Too good for me to comment on your posts, but I'm reading.
    Players meeting my ASS!

Blog Entries
    Jethro, no way Panter starts, he was a JuCo bust...Fitzgerald as an incoming frosh will probably be considered before him

It may bother you when all of the sudden Michigan can't stop the run. The 3-3-5 is vunerable against the run.
    Destiny

The reason I put Panter in there was because he supposedly has speed and had decent enough instincts to be JUCO defensive player of the year. I would imagine a new scheme might bring out some of his better qualities that were lost in the shuffle last year. However, I'm perfectly fine with Fitzgerald taking that spot.

What scares me is that they gave up 44 to Louisville in 2005 and 2006. Last year they allowed 7 teams to score 24 or more. Overall for the past three years they allow somewhere around 19 points per game.
    I guess we weren't infinitely better. Last year our "amazing" defense allowed 26 to Ball State and 42 to Ohio State.
    I guess the important thing is RR has won his past two bowl games.
    We had subs. It was crazy.

+ Reply to Thread