+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: advice needed from handyman

advice needed from handyman

ok, i just assembled an agerum (bookshelf) i got from ikea, sans instructions. but i bought it to be my entertainment center, so i want to run cords out the back of it. problem being, the back is sealed off by a thin sheed of wood in the back.

anyone know what the easiest/ cleanest way to punch a hole back there?

I build houses so I have a million tools but if you have a drill with a 1" spade bit (remember the plug) is how I'd do it. Go slow or it will bounce all over the friggin place.

When i say slow I mean pressure, the bit should be going high speed.

Every time I've built one of those shelves, and after I've taken it apart and rebuild it seven times because I do it wrong, I notice that those thin backings usually are perforated in the shape of circles or something that you can punch out and put your chords through them.
    If not, and you have kids, use your kids face to smash a hole in the back of the thing.
    Winning breeds confidence. Losing breeds reality.

Quote Originally Posted by Tahoe
    I build houses so I have a million tools but if you have a drill with a 1" spade bit (remember the plug) is how I'd do it. Go slow or it will bounce all over the friggin place.

When i say slow I mean pressure, the bit should be going high speed.
    Also do it from the TV side in order to come out the back cuz that thin "wood" will probably flare out and it will be hidden if it is on the back side

Heres a trick I used BD, take another thin piece of wood and clamp it down on front of the piece you want to drill. That way you can get the hole started without skipping around and beating the bejesus out of your keeper piece.

If you are skilled with an exacto knife, you can probably do it that way too. If you haven't attatched the back yet I would suggest what Hermy said.
    Phil Wenneck: The man purse. You actually gonna wear that or are you just fuckin' with me?
    Alan Garner: It's where I keep all my things. Get a lot of compliments on this. Plus it's not a purse, it's called a satchel. Indiana Jones wears one.

NOT TO BE FUCKED WITH Uncle Mxy's Avatar
    Depending on the wood and other specifics, it makes sense to tape the edges of the hole that you drill or otherwise cut out. That way, it doesn't fray or cut the cables.

Make sure the hole is large enough for adapters and power supplies you may add down the road... once you put two or three cords through you no longer have enough space to add more plug ends.

You can get different sized hole cutters (used for cutting door lock sets) at any hardware.
    Last edited by mercury; 12-11-2006 at 05:38 PM.

rollin through your neighborhood, middle finger up
    Quote Originally Posted by mercury
    Make sure the hole is large enough for adapters and power supplies you may add down the road... once you put two or three cords through you no longer have enough space to add more plug ends.
    Thats what I was going to add, power plugs can be a bitch down the road. I would make it about as big as a door knob, maybe a tad smaller. If youre worried about sharp edges cutting into cords, you can buy little plastic rings for the hole or just sand it down a bit.

Blog Entries
    Where was all of this valuable advice for my vasectomy thread?
    Find a new slant.

+ Reply to Thread