+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 2007 NBA Draft in/out declarations (Deadline was 6/18/07)

Blog Entries

2007 NBA Draft in/out declarations (Deadline was 6/18/07)

WOW

Hibbert is apparently going back to school.

I'm shocked.

The deadline for players that have not signed with an agent to withdraw from the draft is June 18.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...pid=sec-sports

Hoyas' Decisions Expected Today
    Hibbert Reportedly Will Return for Senior Year

By Camille Powell
    Washington Post Staff Writer
    Wednesday, May 23, 2007; Page E01

Georgetown juniors Jeff Green and Roy Hibbert will announce whether they will remain in the NBA draft at a news conference this afternoon, and according to a source with knowledge of the situation, Hibbert will be returning to the Hoyas for his senior season.

The return of the 7-foot-2 Hibbert is a boost for a program that is coming off its first Final Four appearance since 1985. He and Green helped lead the Hoyas to a sweep of the Big East regular season and tournament titles and a 30-7 overall record, the fourth 30-win season in school history.

When Hibbert and Green submitted their names for the draft in mid-April, both players left open the possibility of returning to Georgetown for a final season. Neither player hired an agent at the time, and both players said they were still enrolled in classes and were on track to graduate on time.

Underclassmen have until June 18 to withdraw from the draft, which will be held June 28 in New York. The draft lottery was held last night, with the Portland Trail Blazers winning the top pick.

Most mock drafts have projected Green and Hibbert as lottery picks, forecasting Green to go between the seventh and 14th picks, and Hibbert between the fifth and 10th picks.

Hibbert has steadily improved each season since coming to Georgetown from nearby Georgetown Prep and could vault his way to the top of the 2008 draft with another season of similar development in college. Green, on the other hand, is considered to be the more NBA-ready player, and his stock might be at its peak now after a superlative junior season.

The 6-9 Green led the Hoyas in scoring (14.3 points) and was second in rebounds (6.4) and assists (3.2). He was named the Big East player of the year, as well as the most outstanding player of the Big East tournament and the NCAA East Region. He made three game-winning shots, two of them in the postseason, but scored just nine points on five shot attempts in the Hoyas' national semifinal loss to Ohio State.

Hibbert was second on the team in scoring (12.9 points), led the Hoyas in rebounding (6.9) and blocked shots (2.4), and was a unanimous choice for first team all-Big East. He had a terrific NCAA tournament, averaging a double-double (14.2 points and 10.4 rebounds), and against the likely top pick in the draft, Ohio State freshman Greg Oden, Hibbert had 19 points and six rebounds.

Last month, Green said there was a 70 percent chance that he would return to the Hoyas.

"School is only going to be here four years," Green said. "The NBA will be there forever. You can't just give up that. That's a big thought in this process."

Hibbert put his odds of returning at 50-50, and said his projected draft position would be a factor in the decision. There is a glut of talented big men in this year's draft: Oden, Florida's Al Horford and Joakim Noah, China's Yi Jianlian and Washington's Spencer Hawes.

"Do I want to go eight through 14, or do I want to go top three next year?" Hibbert said in April.

"That does play a factor in my decision. . . . I wouldn't want to be at the end of a bench on an NBA team, not being able to develop and show what I can do, so another year here would be great, obviously.

"But I'm just going to see if Coach thinks I'm ready. I would love to come back and get a national championship banner in here. We were close this year, but next year could be great."

Georgetown's top nine players are eligible to return next season, and the Hoyas will add two of the top guard prospects in the country: Austin Freeman, the All-Met player of the year from DeMatha, and Chris Wright, a three-time All-Met from St. John's.

Should Green return as well, the Hoyas could open the season as the top-ranked team in the country.
    Find a new slant.

This will pretty much kill any chance of us getting Law barring a trade. As the depth of the draft decreases, Law will almost certainly be gone by #15.

My mock will still have Hibbert in it as I am leaving soon today, but I will update it for tomorrow if Hibbert does decide to withdraw.
    Phil Wenneck: The man purse. You actually gonna wear that or are you just fuckin' with me?
    Alan Garner: It's where I keep all my things. Get a lot of compliments on this. Plus it's not a purse, it's called a satchel. Indiana Jones wears one.

AP -
    Brandon Rush, who led Kansas in scoring last year, has withdrawn from the NBA draft and will play his junior season at the school.

A two-time all-conference selection, the 6-foot-6 Rush averaged a team-high 13.8 points for the Big 12 champions.

Sophomore Julian Wright, another starter, has committed to the draft. But with Rush returning, Kansas will have all but one of the 14 players who went 33-5 and captured the Jayhawks' third straight conference title.

Probably because he wants to raise his stock for next year

Blog Entries
    Crittenden is staying in, too.
    Find a new slant.

damn, that will have to wait until next week to fix.
    Phil Wenneck: The man purse. You actually gonna wear that or are you just fuckin' with me?
    Alan Garner: It's where I keep all my things. Get a lot of compliments on this. Plus it's not a purse, it's called a satchel. Indiana Jones wears one.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn
    Crittenden is staying in, too.
    In the draft or in school?

Blog Entries
    In the draft, sorry

NOT TO BE FUCKED WITH Uncle Mxy's Avatar
    Seems like Hibbert's a dumbass. He doesn't have a lot to gain and an awful lot to lose at this point.

He said he thinks he'll be a top 3 next year.

+ Reply to Thread